Unified Patriots by Vassar Bushmills
(h/t Paul Dughi, Sports Raid, June 2016)
Jim Thorpe was a Native American Indian of the Sac and Fox nation in Oklahoma. in the early 1900’s, an orphan, he went to the Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania and made up one half of the school’s entire track team, which competed among some well known colleges. He also played football, (they beat Harvard) and was selected to be on the 1912 US Olympic Team in Stockholm.
He competed in both the pentathlon and decathlon, first winning the pentathlon. Then, after someone stole his shoes right before he was set to compete in the decathlon, he found two mismatched shoes in a trash can.They were different sizes, though, so he had to wear extra socks on one foot to even them out.
He went on to win his second Gold medal.
After Carlisle he went onto play professional football for 11 years, was a consensus All-American football player two years, 1911-1912, 1st Team all-pro, 1923, NFL All-Decade Pro Team, to go along with his two Gold Medals was voted the greatest American athlete of the 20th Century.
He did in 1953 at age 64, which was 2 years before recent notable Indian, Nathan Philips was born, and who is also 64 years old, only with no notable accomplishments other than having shared a tour to Vietnam with Sen Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.
ICYMI: Below are a few other articles worth checking out from Vassar Bushmills.
- TARGET: NOT “THE PRESIDENT” BUT “THE PRESIDENCY”
- THE CIRCLE SHALL NOT BE BROKEN
- AFTER HITLER, IS EUROPE RETURNING TO TYPE?
- MARIANNE, THE FAITHFUL REPUBLICAN, BIDS FAREWELL TO HER FORMER LOVER
- THE MEDIA AND AMERICA’S SCHEDULE X
- OUR “VETS IN CLASS” TEACHING PROGRAM; LOOKING FOR SUPPORTING PARTNERS
- HOW THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN IS PLAYING ON MAIN STREET
- CHARACTER, IN SEARCH OF HUMILITY
including links from Unified Patriots that are definitely worth checking out.
- By an Angel’s Kiss, CW2 Jonathan Farmer, 34 (Army), Chief Technician Shannon M Kent, 35, and Mr Scott Wirtz, , civilian, (SYRIA)
- By an Angel’s Kiss, Petty Officer Jason Finan, 34. (Iraq)
- Silent Scream, the Genocide of the Unborn
- Marianne, the Faithful Republican, Bids Farewell to her Lovers
- How Low Can CNN Go?
- We Ignore Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib at Our Peril
- Can We Stop The Shakespeare In The Swamp And Do Some Schoolhouse Rock?
- The Trump Doctrine and the Generals