George Washington’s birthday was February 22nd, 1732. His birthday used to be celebrated as a special day, separate and unique to him, as befitted the man who was the Father of our Country. Nowadays, he’s lumped in with all the others in something called ‘President’s Day’ while lesser men have special days of their own. I have never quite gotten used to that ingratitude.
Our Revolution was unique in that it was not class based, but anchored on the simple principle that Americans were entitled to G-d given rights and liberties as free men, not mere subjects of a foreign crown. Contrary to popular belief, there was not universal support in the American Colonies for that position.
George Washington was a man of wealth and property in what was then considered middle age.He could have chosen to sit things out, as many others in his position did. Instead, like the other Founders, he chose to risk his life, fortune and sacred honor to join in what then must have seemed a lost cause, sheer fantasy, the idea that a hastily mustered and ill-financed colonial army could win a war against a major world power.
Had the fortunes of war gone against him and the Rebellion put down, George Washington, along with the other Founders knew full well he would have been hung as a traitor to the British Crown. He didn’t hesitate to risk everything for what he thought was right.
General Washington endured years of privation, defeat and dark times when the war seemed lost. It was his example that kept the starving, ragged army together, the army he eventually led to victory against all odds. At Yorktown, the band played an old tune called ‘The World Turned Upside down’ and perhaps no one who was there felt that turning more than George Washington. But the most amazing thing was yet to come.
As the hero of the new American Nation, it was a foregone conclusion that he would be its first leader.It was his honorable conduct and his leadership that played a huge part in keeping the diverse Colonies together, and there was nothing to stop him from taking absolute power for his own. Instead he became our first president, a servant to the people of our Republic, and refused to keep power longer than eight years when he could have hung on to it for life. George Washington was an amazing man who set the standard by which our presidents are measured. As far as I’m concerned his birth should be widely and joyously celebrated by his posterity, for when a nation forgets its great men, its heroes, it loses something precious and fine.
Happy Birthday, Mr. President.
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere, and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday morning.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
To bring something to my attention, simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (mandatory, but of course it won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out on Wednesday morning
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have for you this week….
- The Glittering Eye –Something There Is That Doesn’t Love a Wall
- Joshuapundit–Who’s The Real Christian?
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – 44 In Cuba
- The Right Planet – Bringing Down the System — Fighting Racism and Oppression with Racism and Oppression
- Fausta’s Blog – Francis and Trump: Two old guys get into an argument, and a 1,000 yr old wall disappears
- The Razor – Peak Bernie?
- Puma By Design – GOP Establishment Jump on Rubio Bandwagon to Stop Trump.
- Stately McDaniel Manor – The Freddie Gray Case, Update 33.3: The Circus Is In Town!
- VA Right! – When Did Ted Cruz Become an Anti-Republican Anti-Establishment ‘Outsider’? March 23, 2015!
- The Daley Gator – Backwards on race, and everything else, why “progressives” are now pushing segregation
- Bookworm Room – Bond, Jamesina Bond — national security in the Social Justice Warriors’ brave new world
- Nice Deb – NorKs, Nukes, Iran, and ICBMs
- The Independent Sentinel – Hillary Lobbies Against Guns at SC Townhall
- The Pirate’s Cove – Oops: Sheriff Joe Biden Said POTUS Shouldn’t Nominate A SCOTUS Candidate During The Political Season
- The People’s Cube – The People’s Valentine: Safe Guide to Dating Dictators
- Sultan Knish –The First Year of President Bernie Sanders submitted by The Noisy Room
- The Bahnsen Viewpoint – Now I Am Being Serious, Deadly Serious: Stopping The Trump Disgrace submitted by The Glittering Eye
- NY Post – Troops betrayed as Army dumps hundreds of heroic war dogs submitted by Joshuapundit
- PBS Newshour – How Will Iran Choose Its Next Supreme Leader? submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Gary Kasparov – Kissinger, Putin, and Reputation Laundering submitted by The Right Planet
- Rod Dreher/American Conservative – Trump: Fishtown’s Champion Against Belmont submitted by Fausta’s Blog
- The Other McCain –#FreeStacy: ‘A Girl’s Name’ submitted by The Razor
- Caroline Glick –The Lie of Pro-Palestinian Activism submitted by Puma By Design
- City Journal –Stat Crimes Matter submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor
- American Mirror – VIDEO: Senator crumples up Obama’s Gitmo proposal, throws it in the trashsubmitted by VA Right!
- The Pirate’s Cove –Warmists Get Children To Sing Little Ditty About Not Needing No CO2submitted by The Daley Gator
- Dennis Prager–Male Sexual Nature and the Left’s Culture of Denialsubmitted by Bookworm Room
- Melissa Kite/The Spectator – I wouldn’t want to be a girl in the age of Tinder submitted by The Watcher
- Real Clear Politics–Video: Ed Rollins – Trump Energizing Voters Who Haven’t Voted; Would Take Clinton & Sanders Apart In General submitted by The Watcher
- Gates Of Vienna – “I’m Sorry That Your World Has Changed So Much” submitted by The Watcher